With all the hype of Black Friday, why not reduce your stress and enjoy your Thanksgiving. Don’t worry about missing out on the shopping days. There is still plenty of time to shop on Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday.
Saturday, November 30th has been designated as Small Business Saturday. Small Business Saturday was first observed in 2010 to help encourage and promote small local businesses.
I am not going to lie; the big box retailers can be convenient at times. But what is truly enjoyable is the warm inviting feeling you get when you shop locally, specifically in the Midtown and Riverwalk Districts. I personally enjoy finding those special unique gifts for my friends and family.
Celebrate Small Business Saturday by going to your favorite local small business and support them and their family during this holiday season. And while you’re at it, make a pledge to shop locally throughout the year. When doing so, it creates a ripple effect and positively impacts our community. If you don’t have a favorite here are a few suggestions:
Coffee Houses & Bakeries
Boutiques & Misc.
Check out the following link that is dedicated to small local businesses in Nevada. http://www.livelocalrenosparks.com/home.htm. If you reside in another state, do a little research and support some of your local businesses.
If you are one that cannot stand crowds and enjoys shopping from the comfort of your own home, then Cyber Monday is for you!
You can always find great deals online and some of our favorites at 3G include:
Feel free to leave a comment, and let us know about some of your favorite local establishments and/or Cyber Monday websites!
1. PANDA CAM! These adorable creatures from China spend their day eating, sleeping, pooping, playing and more sleeping. I can’t help but be jealous of this lifestyle! http://live.ipanda.com/
2. PENGUIN CAM! When one gets tired of pandas (please) there is always the live feed of penguins at Sea World to go gaga over. Nothing cuter than a few waddling penguins! I think these guys know where the camera is so beware, you may encounter a penguin mooning. http://seaworldparks.com/seaworld-sanantonio/Animals/Webcams/Penguin-Cam
3. Cookie Clicker. Who in the world found this one? Leave it to the intern and now everyone’s addicted. You click on cookies, that’s all there is to it. Cookies. I have 9.8 billion. http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/
4. OTTER CAM! More cameras, but they’re sea otters! These cutie pies are just so much fun to watch and I want to squish their cute little faces. Feeding and training sessions: 10:30am, 1:30pm, and 3:30pm PST. You’ll get more activity during these times, and even learn a little something about sea otters! http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/efc_otter/otter_cam.aspx
5. Duck Dynasty. Now, while I’m not too into this… yet, there are some others around here who can’t get enough. Eating, sleeping, talking Duck Dynasty all day long. Did you know there are quite a few apps out there too? Oh yes, and they can cause quite the stir! http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/
Check out my grungy old DD beard courtesy of the Beard Booth app.
6. Beer. Yep, you heard right. When you work in an office that has its own beer brewing factory (kitchen), you tend to yearn for 6:00pm a lot earlier in the day. Especially when that beer factory comes with a dart board and sweet tunes. I’d like to say that I am a very happy beer taster; these guys do amazing work!
7. YouTube. This one is never going away. There is always going to be someone, somewhere that says, “I watched the funniest video ever last night and you have to see it!” My most recent moment was SNL’s parody, “What Does My Girl Say?” If you haven’t yet seen it, I watched the funniest video ever last night and you have to see it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMQX9ZExsE
8. Party Excuses. Somehow, every single day on the calendar has become a day to celebrate. Everything from Guacamole Day, Tell an Old Joke Day, Talk like a Pirate Day all the way to Cookie Day, Espresso Day and Sangria Day. All of which we have either celebrated or plan to celebrate! http://www.partyexcuses.com/
Here are some crazy pirates on Talk like a Pirate Day. And we had a pirate cake!
9. Photoshop. Although we use Photoshop everyday around here, sometimes work can tangent into practical joke making. When Sharknado took the world by storm (no pun intended), we got a little creative around here and added one of the office dogs, Guido, to the mix.
10. Facebook. This one is a no brainer. I don’t care who you are or what you do, unless you don’t have a Facebook account, you are on Facebook at least once a day. Here’s a link in case you haven’t had your Facebook fix today. http://www.facebook.com/
A few employees from 3G attended a speaking event put on by WIN a few weeks ago and what an experience. To be inspired and moved by one simple, down to earth bartender was pretty amazing. Almost three weeks later his story resonates with me and our employees who attended. Who is this average down to earth bartender? His name is Doc Hendley from Boone, North Carolina.
Doc Hendley is the President/Founder of the non-profit organization, Wine to Water. He and his organization has been saving thousands of lives by providing the basic essential need in life … clean water.
Some basic facts that you may not have known about the water crisis (www.winetowater.org):
· Nearly 1 billion people lack access to clean water.
· More children die from water related illness than AIDS, malaria and measles combined. (2006 United Nations Human Development Report)
· The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns. (2006 United Nations Human Development Report)
· Every 20 seconds a child dies from a water-related disease. (2006 United Nations Human Development Report)
During his talk, he described the efforts that he and his organization were doing. Thoughts of the Chinese Proverb came to mind, “You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”
That is exactly what Doc is doing. He is not only giving these people clean water, but he is also teaching them to be sustainable, using the resources and materials they have to build and fix their own pumps and filters.
The amazing work that Doc has done over the last 10 years is a testament that anyone is capable of making a difference in world.
How are you going to make a difference in your world?
3G Studios will be supporting this cause and will host a Wine to Water event on May 15th. Contact email@example.com or check back for more details.
As Promised, below is the link to James's UNR TEDx talk. We would like to thank UNR and especially Bret Simmons, TED, The Abbi Agency, and all the other speakers involved for helping make this TEDx event amazing! In his talk, James provides a compelling argument for what lessons the casino gaming industry should be learning from video games and vice versa. Please tell us what you think in the comments!
I would also like to take a quick moment to plug the RGJ/Nevada Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology's 2013 awards ceremony happening tonight at The Atlantis. 3G is a two-time NCET award winner as the 2011 Technology Company of the Year and 2012 Software Company of the Year, and we also hosted an NCET Tech Wednesday event in August of 2012. The NCET is a great resource here in Nevada and Dave Archer over there is an amazing advocate for the tech business here in Northern Nevada. Thank you again for everything that you do!
Yes, it is already February and everyone is preparing for the heart filled holiday – Valentine’s Day. When preparing for Valentine’s Day people should consider their own heart. February is American Heart Month and according the CDC approximately 600,000 people die from heart disease in the U.S. every day.
We all can do something to help this cause. Come join 3G Studios this Saturday at the first annual Running Red for Heart 5kat Scheel’s to fight against heart disease and stroke. 3G promotes a healthy lifestyle and we encourage our employees, colleagues, friends and family to do the same. Show up and see some of us donning Red Tutus!
REMSA will be there promoting Save A Heart from 10-2, and will be offering:
· Free Health Screening
· CPR Awareness Classes
· Heart Healthy Living
· Exercise Demos
· A Blood Donation Center from 10:45-2
Not only can YOU make a difference in your own life, but YOU might even save a HEART!
One week from today, our CEO is speaking at the University of Nevada, Reno's TEDx event! James is presenting on what the casino gaming industry should take away from mobile/social gaming as well as from AAA titles as they venture further into online and mobile casino gaming. It's going to be an awesome talk, and we'll hopefully have a video of it to follow after the event.
We hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and a safe new year! We have so much exciting stuff happening in the next few months. SlotALot is looking great, and we can't wait for it to launch so we can finally share it with everyone. We're also almost done with our office expansion here in Downtown Reno, and the new space is going to be so cool! Stay tuned for more.
A piece eGaming Review North America has done on James actually made the cover of the December issue! Thanks eGR! You can sneak a small peek at the profile on the link below, but the entirety requires a subscription or picking up the December issue!
This morning was James’s appearance on the Fox Business News “Small Business, Big Ideas” segment! Here’s a link to the interview:
James will make an appearance on the Fox Business News channel this Wednesday to discuss 3G’s plan for online gaming! His interview on the “Small Business, Big Ideas” segment will air sometime around 12:40pm Eastern.Check it out if you can!
300 E. 2nd St.
Reno, NV 89501